Sunday, April 6, 2008

General Conference

Okay, I was inspired by my cousin's wife, Jacqui, to write a little about General Conference (she is quite good at journaling on her blog!). I enjoyed getting to actually see the sessions at home rather than just hearing them over the Internet (as we have in the past. This year we have the BYU t.v. channel thanks to Dish Network--compliments of my mom who lives with us and pays for it). However, with two young kids, I still missed a lot--though Chloe did use her Conference Bingo paper a bit during the first Saturday session. So, she sort of paid attention (well, for a four-year old that is) for a short time. The talks that I heard were good, but I look forward to reading them later too cause I know I missed a lot. Plus, I must admit, I did fall asleep during the end of the Saturday morning session. I was REALLY tired!!! (I secretly blamed it on pregnancy. I just took a pregnancy test on Friday and it was positive! I know I'm telling people way too early and they're going to think I'm pregnant forever since I'm only about 4 1/2 weeks along, but oh well. I can't keep my mouth shut). As you can see I'm not dedicating a post to the announcement just yet, but rather hiding it within this post--who knows why--just a whim :-)

On Sunday, we had all of Simon's siblings over for lunch in-between the conferences sessions. His mom and two of his siblings and families were here for the morning session, one came just for lunch (with her fiance), and three siblings and families were here for the afternoon session. It was fun, but a bit chaotic during the morning session. My sister-in-law Sandra was trying to teach me how to make hair bows for Chloe and I realized (yet again) that I'm not good at multi-tasking (Sandra, of course, knew what she was doing so could both listen and sew a bow together). I either needed to concentrate on making bows or concentrate on conference. So, I have an unfinished pink bow for Chloe :-)

I really enjoyed President Ballards talk and President Monson's last talk in the last session (by then things had quieted down ;-) While I do miss President Hinckley, I love President Monson. He was always my favorite speaker as a child because I loved his stories! I remember as a kid (before President Hinckley was prophet) thinking that it would be way cool if President Monson lived long enough to eventually become the Prophet. So, it's kind of fun to see that come to pass.

So, we had a day of great talks, conversations, food, and fun. Of course, Chloe and Aaron always love it when other kids are around and the house is in chaos! I think everyone had an enjoyable day!

Okay, back to the pregnancy thing. Chloe was so excited when I showed her the pregnancy test and explained what it meant. She broke into a huge grin! I emphasized that the baby won't be here until after her birthday, my birthday, daddy's birthday, Aaron's birthday, and then right after Christmas (just a guess on that one--but might as well keep it sounding like it's forever away!). Being Chloe, she then asked, "what about Grandma's birthday?" And I said, yes, also after Grandma's birthday).

So, she asked me if she could show Aaron the test. I let her take it to him and I heard her explaining it and going over how it would be a long time and going through all the birthdays and "right after Christmas" talk. She assured me, in no uncertain terms, that she would be getting a baby sister because she already has a baby brother. And Aaron, the little repeater, when I asked if he also wanted a baby sister (fully expecting him to say yes or just simply repeat exactly what Chloe had said--as he normally does). He said, "no. I want a baby brother." I think that's the first time I've heard him say the word "brother." It was cute!

On Saturday in between the afternoon session and the priesthood session of conference we were at a ward Elder's Quorum potluck dinner and I heard Chloe telling someone that she was getting a baby sister and Aaron was getting a baby brother. I told her that I was not going to have twins. So, I guess one of them will be disappointed. . .

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Are you sure you don't want twins? It's awfully fun! I hope things go well for you and that you're not too sick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie---you crack me up---congratulations---your babies are cute---and David will love holding another guerrero!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle--hmm. . .well, the Lord only gives us what we can handle, and I'm pretty sure I can't handle my two kids, my mom, and twins :-) But, ya never know. . .twins would be fun (after the first year or so. . .and after I'm discharged from the insane asylum. . .j/k) And, for sickness, so far so good, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nat, I read this after I read your recent post. I am excited for you all over again! Thanks for the recap on General Conference (and the compliment--you're so nice). I always felt the same way about President Monson. I adored PResident Hinkley, but Jeff and I both agree that the mantle is on President Monson now. Didn't he speak so powerfully several times during the conference? Wow.

    I love that you wrote down your kid's responses to your pregnancy test. How cute and precious. They'll love reading that when they're older (I quote the cute things my girls used to say/do when they are sad or being stinkers, and it always cheers them up.They love to hear about themselves!)

    I hope you are over the morning sickness by the family reunion. Are you all driving? Well, take care! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacqui--Yeah, President Monson is great. I especially liked his humor in his last talk--nothing beats a good deadpan face when being funny.
    That's cute that you quote your kids to themselves to cheer them up!
    As for the reunion, if this pregnancy is anything like the last, I'll definitely be feeling sick for it. . .we almost waited until after the reunion to try and get pregnant, but then we decided that was probably not the best way to do family planning :-) We are driving and looking forward to seeing everyone!!

    ReplyDelete