Monday, May 19, 2008

Zofran Pump and other thoughts. . .

Yeah for the Zofran pump!! Thanks to this nifty device, I've kept all my food down for the last two days! Hip hip hooray!! The home health nurse came on Saturday and got me all hooked up. It's like having a tiny IV type thing in my leg to give me constant nourishment of anti-nausea medicine deemed safe for pregnancy. After throwing up at least 6 times each day on Thursday and Friday last week, I was sooo happy to get it! I'm finally starting to get some energy back. Maybe I will make it through the next 6 1/2 months!

I was thinking today about how grateful I am for the gospel and for a worthy priesthood holder in my home! On Saturday night, after I got the pump and the nurse left, I threw up one more time and it was a doozy! I had lots of stomach acid (bile) coming out my nose as well as my mouth (along with everything else from my stomach--water, some food) and it burned!! I was hurting and crying and trying to figure out how to get the burning to stop. I finally went out to the living room and, through tears, asked Simon to give me a blessing. He immediate came back to the room and did just that. The burning subsided almost immediately and it was a very nice blessing. I am so grateful for Simon being able and willing to do that.

A realization dawned on me today about a specific way in which the guidance of the Holy Ghost was especially helpful in our planning this pregnancy. Last week when I was vomitting multiple times a day and had zero energy, I was praying through tears (crying had become a common occurance over the last few weeks--my kids were kind of in awe of it and showed lots of concern for me--sweet, fun kids) and wondering why when I had prayed about getting pregnant I had gotten an affirmative answer if it was going to be so awful. I was honestly wishing that I were filling out adoption paper work rather than being so sickly pregnant. Also, I had thought about waiting until after June (when we have a family reunion in Nashville) to get pregnant since I knew I'd probably get feeling sick. But, I decided that we probably shouldn't do our family planning around vacations.

So, we prayed about it and felt like the time was right. Anyway, to get to my point. . .the Zofran pump is very expensive and using it will cause us to meet our deductible and the 20% we pay after that will most likely use up the remainder of our max out-of-pocket expenses for the year. Therefore, if we had gotten pregnant one month later, the baby would be born in the next calendar year (2009) and we would've had to pay our deductible again for all the birthing expenses and our out-of-pocket max would've started back over. Point being, we would not have been able to afford the Zofran pump if that had been the case. So, we are blessed that my pregnancy is starting and ending in the same calendar year.

So, I am grateful for the gospel in our lives, the help from the influence of the Holy Ghost in making decisions, and for Zofran :).

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you are feeling better, Natalie. I hope this helps for the rest of the pregnancy because I don't want you to feel miserable the whole time.

    Yay for Zofran!

    ReplyDelete